[Dev] Info regarding X11 is too slow on Lemote Yeeloong

Daniel Clark at GNU dclark at gnu.org
Mon May 21 00:23:00 GMT 2012

FYI...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Matt Turner <INVALID.NOREPLY at gnu.org>
Date: Sun, May 20, 2012 at 7:49 PM
Subject: [bug #28169] X11 is too slow
To: Danny Clark <dclark at gnu.org>, leio at gentoo.org, "Richard M. Stallman" <
rms at gnu.org>, Robert Millan <rmh.aybabtu at gmail.com>, Sylvain Beucler <
beuc at gnu.org>, Graziano <graziano at inventati.org>, Sam Geeraerts <
samgee at elmundolibre.be>, Matt Turner <mattst88 at gmail.com>, bernie at gnu.org,
brett at fsf.org, Peter Olson <peabo at fsf.org>, Roman Mamedov <
romanrm at member.fsf.org>, zhangm at lemote.com, Karl Goetz <karl at kgoetz.id.au>

Follow-up Comment #12, bug #28169 (project gnewsense):

I've optimized pixman quite a bit with Loongson's multimedia instructions,
using the existing MMX code. See
http://mattst88.com/blog/2012/05/17/Optimizing_pixman_for_Loongson:_Process_and_Results/

They're available in pixman-0.25.6 and will be in the pixman-0.26.0 stable
release.

Further optimization work includes
 - Bilinear/nearest scaling compositing functions for pixman, which are
*really* important for Firefox performance
 - Optimized xf86XVCopyPacked for Xv performance. Really, I think pixman
should grow support for all these YUV-type formats, and the code in the X
server should go away
 - There may be some way to improve XAA performance that's regressed a lot
in
the last few years, but I don't know if this is doable

Then, there's the work of simply getting the upstream X server working on
the
Yeeloong..

It would help me if someone could tell me what the differences are between
the
upstream 1.7.6 siliconmotion driver and the 2.2.8 version -- and why the
changes in the 2.2.8 driver aren't upstream?

 <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?28169>