[Dev] [Richard Stallman] Re: Hello from Corsica

Nicolás Reynolds fauno at kiwwwi.com.ar
Mon May 21 20:01:35 GMT 2012

RISCi_ATOM <bob at bobcall.me> writes:

> On 05/20/2012 02:24 PM, Richard Stallman wrote:
>>     . A speach at the Faculty of Pasquale Paoli
>>     . A yeelong install party with a hacker from Parabola (for the new
>>     student of computing of the faculty (and offer a yeelong to each
>>     student(if possible (ric?))))
>>
>> Someone is trying to install Parabola for me on an Yeeloong and finds
>> a number of problems.  He wants to help fix them.
>>
>> Can you buy Yeeloongs now?  They are no longer made.
>> Do you know of a source of Yeeloongs, or are you just assuming?
>>
>>     P.S.: ric ... un barbecue  la maison te tenterais?
>
> This thread / message seems to be broken so I will cut to the chance. I
> am working to make parabola GNU/Linux more usable for RMS. At this point
> in time I am setting up a build server and work environment for
> cross-compiling packages. Once I have successfully built Parabola, I am
> going to move on to build packages that are not yet part of the mips64el
> build of Parabola.
>
> As for other having a lemote for testing, I am playing with qemu and
> figuring out the best practice for setting up a public mips64el instance
> of parabola for those who do not seem to have the resources to emulate
> the Lemote Yeeloong. I will make an announcement when I have this up and
> running.

Cool! we've been working on cross-compiling toolchains for mips64el, so
far only some of us (me and?) use a cross-toolchain to build packages,
using distcc from a native host. this process is explained on our
wiki[1].

we also created a set of PKGBUILDs[2] aimed at cross-toolchains. this
set initially built for gcc 4.6 but the update to 4.7 introduced a lot
of build errors we couldn't debug yet.

[1]: https://wiki.parabolagnulinux.org/Cross-toolchain_and_distcc
[2]: https://projects.parabolagnulinux.org/abslibre.git/tree/cross