[Dev] Repo situation Was: Re: Votation to put [games] repo on our distro

Michał Masłowski mtjm at mtjm.eu
Wed May 2 20:08:32 GMT 2012

> So far we agreed to have repos per [project] and [~user], though some
> propposed to have [parabola-community] or whatever. Do you think
> this should be changed? Explain your position, of course.

How having different repos is beneficial (for users or packagers)?

I don't see any benefits for it when packaging.  It makes unclear where
to put a package.

As a user, I have to list more repos in /etc/pacman.conf or not find
some packages.  I don't know a mapping from problems solved by packages
to repos.  Maybe databases fetched are smaller due to not including some
packages there, it's not a problem since fetching them normally is
faster than e.g. downloading packages to install.

I know two arguments for Arch having multiple repos: they have different
quality policies, and some are for testing packages before putting them
in stable repos.  We don't do these things (although they would be
beneficial in some cases), so these arguments don't apply here (and
certainly not for completely new packages not replacing other packages).

Changing it to have a single repo for all packages not taken directly
From Arch would make it obvious which repo to choose and would be
simpler.

Debian and Trisquel practically have one repo, I never noticed problems
with this solution.