[Dev] [Assist] How can I compile a module for my kernel without having to recompile the whole kernel?

Jorge Araya Navarro jorgean at lavabit.com
Thu Mar 1 05:10:21 GMT 2012

> Hi!
>
> I'm using a laptop that needs the vt8623fb module and I don't know how
> I can just compile the module alone since recompiling the whole kernel
> (even if it's tweaked) takes way too much time on my machine.
>
> I've lost 3days doing nothing but unsuccessful researches on the
> subject.
> Now I spent something like 8~9hours compiling the kernel using the ABS
> (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Kernels/Compilation/Arch_Build_System)
> with the modules I needed and it just ended up creating a dummy empty
> package (while saying that everything was done successfully).
> Not to mention that patching the kernel from 3.2 to 3.2.7 just fails
> miserably for no reason (?!) so I had to tweak the PKGBUILD to grab
> the GNU/Linux Libre Kernel 3.2.7 directly.
>
> It's seriously driving me mad and I'm starting to wonder if I just
> doesn't have a IQ high enough to do all of theses things.
>
> If anyone knows how to help me, you have all my attention. For now
> I'll just prevent myself from smashing this computer on the floor.
> Also, before anyone start to answer my problem by not answering it: I
> don't want to use another distribution than Parabola. I have a problem
> and I want to fix it.
>
> Thank you all in advance for your answers,
> Marc-Alexandre Espiaut

I'm forwarding this message to the dev list because looks like nobody
wants to help me out with the list for assist people.
I can't help you out with that, is very technical for my skills, but,
that module's source code is free as in freedom? sorry, we must ask
first...
--

Jorge Araya Navarro
Universitario, idealista y pseudo-activista del Software Libre.
Jabber: shackra at jabberes.org
Skype: ¡De ninguna manera, tras de privativo, te espían!.
el software privativo en GNU/Linux, al igual que en Windows o en MacOs,
te hace un ser no-libre. Deja de engañarte,
¡¡despierta ahora!!:
http://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html
http://replicant.us/about/