[Dev] [Pierre Schmitz] [arch-dev-public] New install iso - proof of concept

Nicolás Reynolds fauno at kiwwwi.com.ar
Wed Jun 27 14:15:14 GMT 2012

FYI

Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 21:14:23 +0200
From: Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de>
 <arch-dev-public at archlinux.org>
Subject: [arch-dev-public] New install iso - proof of concept

Hi all,

it being discussed o IRC for some time now but I guess it's a good idea
to sum our current progress up. I'll also add a few suggestions about
how we might improve our iso releases.

I created a testing iso which can be found at:
http://pkgbuild.com/~pierre/ Besides the patches I had sent to the
releng list it includes pacman-key from Allans working repo and Dave's
arch-install-scripts. In addition to an updated set of packages another
noticeable change is that signature verification is now supported and
works out of the box. The keyring is initialized on boot and so you can
install new packages within the live system as well.

Overall I would suggest this:
* Decouple aif, install-scripts, archiso and actuall iso releases. This
means have tags for those and provide packages in our repos.
* It's not a bad thing to start off with an iso that does not include
aif a first. This should actually speed up development and hopefully get
us more help from the community.
* archiso should be changed in a way that would allow anyone to easily
create official isos with one command. It should result in the same iso
no matter how the host is configured.
* We should treat the iso more like our other package and not aim for
the most perfect product. Instead let's release new isos regularly; e.g.
every month.

I'll stop here to not make it too long and boring. What do you think?

Greetings,

Pierre