[Dev] Suggestions for the Parabola's Project

Luke T.Shumaker lukeshu at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 16 21:30:20 GMT 2012

At Mon, 16 Jan 2012 13:50:06 -0500,
Daniel Clark wrote:
> 2012/1/16 Jorge Araya Navarro <jorgean at lavabit.com>
> > > have an ARM port, make it an optimal distro for a freedom-respecting
> > > device
> >
> > I'm going to take care of that part in few months!!!
> >
> > But in general, this problem is just bullshit, this make me sick and sad
> > :-/.
>
> Not that this shouldn't be done, but out of general interest are their any
> 100% freedom respecting ARM devices at the moment? Last I looked into this
> (which was two years ago), they all required binary blobs for their 3D
> graphics, and the 3rd party company that controlled that seemed unlikely to
> release either specs or code under a copyleft license.

The GeeksPhone One (ARMv6) (and I presume the GeeksPhone Zero)[1] is
freedom respecting.

Rhombus-Tech[2] is creating a Raspberry Pi-like product that will be
100% freedom respecting. Even the hardware designs are free.[3]

I am not sure about the OpenMoko Freerunner.

Since it was brought up in a similar discussion on IRC, I'll go ahead
and rule out the Pandora[4] as it requires non-free firmwares.[5]

[1] http://www.geeksphone.com/en/
[2] http://rhombus-tech.net/
[3] http://git.rhombus-tech.net/?p=eoma.git;a=summary
[4] http://openpandora.org/