[Dev] Discussion to make a decision about "MIPS Installation/Precursor OS" article

Nicolás Reynolds fauno at kiwwwi.com.ar
Mon Jan 9 12:24:43 GMT 2012

On Sun, 8 Jan 2012 21:26:06 -0800, Charles Roth <cer at parlementum.net> wrote:
> This should become a bigger discussion perhaps. As my comrades know I'm not happy with the state of the Parabola installer itself, and while in
> the channel I toe the party line, if people ask me privately I give them this advice:
>
> 1) use arch net installer (which works, easily)
> 2) use migration script
>
> We need to come up with easy to follow steps with a good installer or pragmatically provide a way to move from unfree to mostly free to free.

As I said on the channel a few days ago, ConnochaetOS had this same
problem with the standard Arch installer and solved it. I've tested the
installation and it's just 5 steps long.

It helps you with partitioning (automatic or manual) and then
unpacks the base system on the disk, after setting the timezone and
regular user.

My vote is for including Connos installer in our x86* ISOs and on the
tab installer Daniel mentioned. Then the precursor OS article wouldn't
be needed, right?

The installer is bash based so we won't have issues porting it :)