[Dev] about new packagers and personal repos

Nicolás Reynolds fauno at kiwwwi.com.ar
Thu Feb 23 00:31:33 GMT 2012

On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 00:49:09 -0300, Nicolás Reynolds <fauno at kiwwwi.com.ar> wrote:
> since i've been receiving a few queries about becoming a parabola
> packager and having access to a personal repo (the [~people] kind of
> repos), i'd like us to discuss a few guidelines so everything is clear
> :)
>
> situation so far:
>
> to be a packager you need a pair of ssh and gpg keys. ssh is needed to
> access the repo server and to upload packages, and the gpg key is
> required for signing them.
>
> db-update refuses to release packages if they're unsigned, but it
> doesn't perform validity checks. this is pretty simple to implement so
> it may be done in a few days if no one beats me to it. make sure to post
> your gpg key to a keyserver (any but pgp.mit.edu).
>
> we have been giving repo access to people we know from the irc channel.
>
> for a [repo] to show on parabolaweb an admin (currently encyclomundi and
> i, iirc) has to create a new repo on the django admin page. it also has
> to be *commited* to the main dbscripts.git repo after including it on
> the config file, so it can be pulled on the web server. from then on, a
> cronjob takes care of including new packages to parabolaweb database.
>
> / end of situation
>
> so what do you think? :)

related:

we've been discussing about how to decentralize a PUR and using git
repos (or any dvcs) for that seems to be the right way.

one of the ideas is to have a git repo for each package (xihh would like
this) and putting them as git submodules of a personal repo, in a way
that you could, for instance:

git clone git://fauno-machine/fauno

and have every package maintained by me, or from your repo:

git clone git://fauno-machine/fauno/a-package
git submodule add a-package

and import a single package to your repo. common tasks can be put on
libretools scripts. arch packages can be retrieved from their branches,
though the whole repo is heavy.

in the next days i'll be writing an article about git hosting on the
wiki for starters :D

ps: this is just an idea, we have abslibre.git...