[Dev] Votation about Xonotic game (Nexuiz fork) on Parabola

Johannes Krampf johannes.krampf at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 11 08:23:43 GMT 2012

On 02/10/2012 10:27 PM, André Silva wrote:
> Hi guys, there are a game called Xonotic that is a libre software
> first-person shooter video game. It was developed as a fork of Nexuiz,
> following controversy surrounding on the game's development.
> Currently, the game is running on a heavily modified version of the
> Quake engine <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quake_engine> known as
> "DarkPlaces". Gameplay is inspired by Unreal Tournament
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unreal_Tournament> and Quake
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quake_%28video_game%29>, but with
> various unique elements. Xonotic's stated aim is to become the best
> possible libre software FPS (first-person-shooter) of its kind. This
> information is from wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xonotic
>
> King InuYasha talks about Nexuiz Controversy: "Nexuiz founder Lee
> Vermuelen, along with several other core developers, have licensed the
> Nexuiz name, Nexuiz.com domain, and DarkPlaces engine to Illfonic in a
> deal to get Nexuiz on consoles. However, the kink is that the engine
> has been licensed for non-GPL usage. That is, Illfonic has no
> intention of contributing their code back to the main GPL Nexuiz
> project. As a result, Nexuiz has been forked into a new project called
> Xonotic. While the main Nexuiz site doesn't mention that Illfonic has
> no intention of contributing back, the Xonotic project FAQ explains
> what's going on. Additionally, the Xonotic project states that
> Illfonic 'may be in violation of the GPL as most contributors to the
> Nexuiz codebase have not relicensed their work for inclusion in a
> closed-source project.'"
>
> For more information about this game, licenses, etc, see:
> Xonotic FAQ http://www.xonotic.org/the-game/faq/
> Comments about Xonotic (Nexuiz Founder Licences It for non-GPL use)//
> <http://games.slashdot.org/story/10/03/22/1859212/nexuiz-founder-licenses-it-for-non-gpl-use>:
> http://games.slashdot.org/story/10/03/22/1859212/Nexuiz-Founder-Licenses-It-For-Non-GPL-Use
>
> So, I will open a votation about Xonotic to know your opinion about
> this game on our distro:
>
> Question: Do you like to have Xonotic on Parabola?
>

> 1) NO, because I found licenses, documentation issues or no-FSDG on
> this game that doesn't respects my freedom and Parabola's principles
> (please explain in detail your reason)
>
> 2) YES, but I would like to have it on libre repo.
>
> 3) YES, but I would like to have it on social repo.
>
> 4) YES, but I would like to have it on a custom repo or a new custom
> repo e.g: games. (please, if you have a name to create a new repo for
> this game, please give us a suggestion)

Hi,

Just FYI: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=48520

I'm not as long with Parabola to know exactly how repositories are used,
but my understanding was that ~user repositories were the replacement
for community in Arch. Therefore I vote for 4: put it in ~Emulatorman. :-)

In this particular case I would also not be surprised if the game was
soon to replace the Nexuiz package in the Arch repositories. Maybe we
should raise the issue with the Arch package for Nexuiz?

- Johannes