[Dev] Votation about Xonotic game (Nexuiz fork) on Parabola

André Silva andre.paulista at adinet.com.uy
Fri Feb 10 21:27:39 GMT 2012

Hi guys, there are a game called Xonotic that is a libre software
first-person shooter video game. It was developed as a fork of Nexuiz,
following controversy surrounding on the game's development. Currently,
the game is running on a heavily modified version of the Quake engine
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quake_engine> known as "DarkPlaces".
Gameplay is inspired by Unreal Tournament
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unreal_Tournament> and Quake
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quake_%28video_game%29>, but with various
unique elements. Xonotic's stated aim is to become the best possible
libre software FPS (first-person-shooter) of its kind. This information
is from wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xonotic

King InuYasha talks about Nexuiz Controversy: "Nexuiz founder Lee
Vermuelen, along with several other core developers, have licensed the
Nexuiz name, Nexuiz.com domain, and DarkPlaces engine to Illfonic in a
deal to get Nexuiz on consoles. However, the kink is that the engine has
been licensed for non-GPL usage. That is, Illfonic has no intention of
contributing their code back to the main GPL Nexuiz project. As a
result, Nexuiz has been forked into a new project called Xonotic. While
the main Nexuiz site doesn't mention that Illfonic has no intention of
contributing back, the Xonotic project FAQ explains what's going on.
Additionally, the Xonotic project states that Illfonic 'may be in
violation of the GPL as most contributors to the Nexuiz codebase have
not relicensed their work for inclusion in a closed-source project.'"

For more information about this game, licenses, etc, see:
Xonotic FAQ http://www.xonotic.org/the-game/faq/
Comments about Xonotic (Nexuiz Founder Licences It for non-GPL use)//