[Dev] [Karl Goetz] [GNU-linux-libre] potential issue with packages embedding waf

Nicolás Reynolds fauno at kiwwwi.com.ar
Tue Feb 7 23:28:23 GMT 2012

FYI

Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 09:26:28 +1100
From: Karl Goetz <karl at kgoetz.id.au>
To: GNU-Linux-Libre <gnu-linux-libre at nongnu.org>

--Sig_/2XJEr9ZA5jPCkeg/lyNBFls

Hi all,
I was hoping to get some input from this list on whether we should be
dropping packages containing the 'waf' build system. Its come up for
discussion in Debian as it appears to be a DFSG violation[1] (not our
problem), but might also constitute a GPL violation [2].

Its worth noting not all packages shipping waf are automatically
problematic (its suggested samba ships the full waf source embedded [3])

I'm not sure the best way to get a current list of packages embedding
waf. An expensive way would be to extract all packages and search for
it - i can do it , but rather only if needed.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2012/02/msg00150.html
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2012/02/msg00207.html
[3] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2012/02/msg00224.html

thanks,