[Dev] [issue224] Check if a package being updated changes soname of an included library

Michał Masłowski (Parabola Issue Tracker) bugs at parabolagnulinux.org
Wed Feb 1 15:47:05 GMT 2012

Michał Masłowski added the comment:

check-package-libraries.py in dbscripts should be able to do this, if other
scripts will use it.

Usage:
check-package-libraries.py -d path-to-database.sqlite init
check-package-libraries.py -d path-to-database.sqlite add package.tar.xz ...
check-package-libraries.py -d path-to-database.sqlite remove pkgname
check-package-libraries.py -d path-to-database.sqlite check

It could use a separate database for each arch.  All scripts adding packages to
repos should use the add command of the script, all scripts removing them
(without adding other packages of the same pkgname) should use the remove
command.  check shows lines like the following one:

subversion needs libdb-5.2.so

Limitations:

The script doesn't check dependencies of a package, assumming that it's good
enough if any installable package (maybe conflicting with it) provides the library.

Paths of ELF files are ignored, this is probably not a problem for our use.

I haven't tested it with more than three packages in the database at once.