[Dev] Parabola-friendly implementation of VCS urls for PKGBUILDs

Nicolás Reynolds fauno at kiwwwi.com.ar
Sat Aug 25 23:19:54 GMT 2012

"Luke T.Shumaker" <lukeshu at sbcglobal.net> writes:

> At Sat, 25 Aug 2012 15:09:12 -0300,
> Nicolás Reynolds wrote:

>> "Luke T.Shumaker" <lukeshu at sbcglobal.net> writes:
>>
>> > A while back I started working on a feature to add VCS url
>> > capabilities to makepkg, based on a whitepaper I published on this
>> > list.
>> >
>> > https://gitorious.org/parabola/pacman/commits/lukeshu-fix
>>
>> \o/ did they reply?
>> [2  <application/pgp-signature (7bit)>]
>>

> Yes! Following is a draft of my reply back. Things in capslock are for
> you to comment on. I didn't remove anything from Dave's email.
>
> ~ Luke Shumaker

the main reason to have tarballs is not that we loooove checksums, but
that at least GPL2 software requires you to host the corresponding
sources for the packages you provide. arch is following this doing
makepkg --allsource for GPL packages on ABS, how would they solve it? or
won't they allow vcs packges on repos?