[Dev] virtualenvs offer non-free way a libre solution?

Aurélien gnu.tek at gmx.com
Sun Apr 15 18:00:31 GMT 2012

Nicolás Reynolds <fauno at kiwwwi.com.ar> writes:

> On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 13:01:10 +0200, gnu.tek at gmx.com (=?utf-8?Q?Aur=C3=A9lien?=) wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have recently install a plone website from virtualenvs, but it seems
>> that it offer some non-free software from http://pypi.python.org/pypi
>> i have tried to find a solution to free it and it seems it's possible
>> via modfifying install.py of the
>> ~/.vir*/*/lib/pyt*/site-packages/pip*/pip/commands/install.py
>>
>> But it seems to need a solution like a form of repository.
>>
>> http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall#package-index-api
>>
>> Since all free distro seems to be concerned by this trouble, maybe the
>> best should to start a free project from the https://savannah.gnu.org
>
> are virtualenvs needed? they're a pain in the ass... this also happen
> with ruby gems though the huge majority are mit/bsd-like licensed (but
> they don't have a 'license' field afaict)
<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>

Well ...

The guy of #django-cms told me to use it to install django-cms and it's
true that when you make some python stuff ... working in a virtualenv is
really a nice thing ... to compare is a bit like the interest of the
chroot. (no destruction is possible!)

Well at this time i am working on it to try to find a free way ... and
have great hope in a working solution, the trouble is that it will
represent lot of stuff (for the database itself not the code which will
return an error to the user trying to install non free stuff).
(because i have not the knowledge for automation)

Well i prefer try than let that fall in the blacklisted hole ... (well
if one of you told me there is no trouble with it ... i will say Cool
but it seems that you can really install non free stuff from that ... a
bit like with firefox)

I think that it is not a trouble for Parabola only, but all free distro
are concerned by the python pypi.

A possible solution should be at this time (but represent lot of stuff
on cleaning the page (htm)) ::

install the python virtualenv

modify ~/.vir*/*/lib/pyt*/site-packages/pip*/pip/commands/install.py
you should modify the search.py to
on the line corresponding to the target website
>>> import py_compile
>>> py_compile.compile('install.py')
to replace the .pyc corresponding

then copy modify the http://pypi.python.org/simple/
and the page correspondant to each software
keep the md5 (needed as explain
http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall#package-index-api)

well if one of you have a better and more simple solution, like
automation on keeping free software of the pypi ... that should be the
best ... or maybe knows an already working solution.

--
Aurelien DESBRIERES - Animateur P at m-Sarte
http://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Aurelien