[Dev] Requirements for an (European) mirror?

Michał Masłowski mtjm at mtjm.eu
Tue Nov 29 18:07:21 GMT 2011

> Thanks for your answer Michal. Do you think it would make sense to set
> up a third mirror (in Europe)?
>
> I got the idea because there are only two mirrors in my mirrorlist and
> I got "slow" downloads (1-2MB/s instead of 8 or 9) at my location in
> Southern Switzerland.

For me such downloads would be fast.  It's 1-2 MB/s for big packages
like nexuiz-data?

> When I had a look at server prices, I found a reasonable 50€/month
> offer [1] with 100MBit/s until 10TB transfer per month which I would
> be willing to donate. But since I never worked with a downloading
> server before, I have no idea what requirements a mirror has.

I never administered a server with more than about 50 GiB of monthly
transfer, a small VPS could be enough in such case (but it might have
limited speed below 100 Mbps).

> Nicolás: ifconfig will also show the transfered bytes since the last
> reboot, this might help to get an rough estimate.

It shows bytes transfered since the interface was configured, so it's
probably an underestimate.  It shows 3.3 GiB of received packets and 3.2
GiB of packets sent, while the server is running for 80 days.