[Dev] [issue292] Migrate to a free syslogd Was: [syslog-ng] man pages are nonfree

Michał Masłowski (Parabola Issue Tracker) bugs at parabolagnulinux.org
Mon Dec 12 16:31:58 GMT 2011

Michał Masłowski added the comment:

postrotate_cmd in metalog.conf can gzip rotated logs.  I never used it.  The
default configuration would not keep more than 90 MiB of logs, probably much
less on typical systems (e.g. with no mail servers).

The second problem is not critical, any user changing logger settings already
needs to use a different configuration format, and it's easy to find files like
/var/log/everything/current (if doing it as root).

I didn't know that there is a log group.  It probably wouldn't be difficult to
patch metalog to support other gid or mode for log files.