[Assist] Eclipse (Java IDE)

bill-auger bill-auger at peers.community
Fri Sep 11 00:49:58 GMT 2020

On Thu, 10 Sep 2020 23:15:16 +0000 edgar wrote:
> Hi. Are there freedom issues with Eclipse?

the FSD is usually the easiest way to answer that question

https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Eclipse

if the program is listed in the FSD, then it has been reviewed
and deemed acceptable by someone of the FSD team

On Thu, 10 Sep 2020 23:15:16 +0000 edgar wrote:
> if not, how do I install it in Parabola?

if not, then the FSDG would forbid us from helping anyone to
install it

java programs generally do not fit well into distros; so
although it is a popular program, it does not surprise me that it
is not in the repos - if you want to use it, you would either get
the binary from the eclipse website, get the source code from
the eclipse website and compile it, or maybe you could find a
PKGBUILD for it on the AUR