[Assist] No audio in IceWeasel when joining BigBlueButton conference

Leon Plickat leonhenrik.plickat at stud.uni-goettingen.de
Wed May 13 06:49:51 GMT 2020

Hello,
I currently have a rather annoying issue regarding the IceWeasel
browser shipped with Parabola. When I am trying to join a Conference
on the BigBlueButton platform hosted by my university, I can not hear
any audio. Or to be more precise: I can not hear what anyone is
saying. I can hear the user interface of sounds BBB, I can hear sounds
played in other browser tabs and I can hear any other audio source on
my computer. I set the permissions for the website to allow auto-play
of audio and video.

This issue started last week. Before that, I was able to participate
in BBB conferences just fine. I initially thought it was a temporary
hick-up, as is common in video conference tools, but the issue is
still here a week (and many missed conferences) later and apparently
only affects me.

Maybe this is a WebRTC issue? I remember some time ago that the
defaults of IceWeasel where changed to allow Jitsi to function. Since
BBB is also free software (GPL) and self-hostable, I assumed it would
function as well, which it did until last week. Have the defaults
changed again? I have no idea how to trouble shoot this, especially
since basically all of BBBs official documentation is written for
server administrators, not actual users. I am unable to take part in
any lectures or exercises until this is fixed, so any attempt at
helping is highly appreciated!

Friendly greetings,
Leon Plickat