[Assist] Put openrc service in dnscrypt-proxy package

Freemor freemor at freemor.ca
Fri May 1 14:11:36 GMT 2020

On Fri, May 01, 2020 at 03:21:11PM +0200, Xavier B. wrote:

> Sorry for annoyances. I did not know who are mantainers of dnscrypt-proxy package. I simply go to packages search [1] and search for dnscrypt-proxy mantainers. For example [2] points to Erich Eckner <arch32 at eckner dot net>.
>
> Personally, I would include openrc in the package. systemd init scripts are normally include in the package and then it's coherent to do the same for openrc. I feel something abadoned. It seems that systemd has more priority rather than openrc. It's a user perspective thought: many packages include systemd init script but as openrc user, you have to search *-openrc packages. It's not fair.
>
> Xavier
>
> [1] https://www.parabola.nu/packages/?sort=&q=dnscrypt-proxy&maintainer=&flagged=
> [2] https://www.parabola.nu/packages/community/i686/dnscrypt-proxy/

Doing what you suggest would put an onerous burden on Parabola's small dev team
as it would mean adopting ALL packages that have an init script and
re-packaging them to include the OpenRC inits. And there would be user
expectations that they would update in time with the upstream. Which would
require one or more people to monitor those packages on a daily basis and
rebuild then in a swift fashion.

That aside. Open RC is meant to be much more hands on, nuts and bolts,
approach. If you want automagic then you wan systemd. The separate init scripts
allow people to keep their  system lean and to do things like remove the init
scripts without removing the service if they wanted to write their own or start
the service manually. OpenRC is about having very fine grained control over the
init. Not about security/privacy as some people seem to believe.

What you describe as "not fair" many see as "expected behaviour"

What you suggest would require patching/re-writing the upstream OpenRC packages
to spit the init scripts out as patches for the services so they could then be
added to the service packages. Instead of just building then as they come from
the upstream.