[Assist] texlive-most Package Doesn't Work

Michael Novak mnovak10120 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 10:12:24 GMT 2020

I installed LaTex on my computer, by the following command:

sudo pacman -S texlive-most

During the installation I remember that this error appeared on the screen:

error: command failed to execute correctly

To check that LaTex works I created the file test.tex:

\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
    dfvlkmdfv\end{document}

I typed pdflatex test.tex, to compile the document but that didn't work
well. The result was:

This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159265-2.6-1.40.21 (TeX Live 2020/Parabola
GNU/Linux-libre) (preloaded format=pdflatex)
 restricted \write18 enabled.

kpathsea: Running mktexfmt pdflatex.fmt
mktexfmt: mktexfmt is using the following fmtutil.cnf files (in
precedence order):
mktexfmt: mktexfmt is using the following fmtutil.cnf file for writing changes:
mktexfmt:   /home/michael/.texlive/texmf-config/web2c/fmtutil.cnf
mktexfmt [INFO]: writing formats under /home/michael/.texlive/texmf-var/web2c
mktexfmt [INFO]: did not find entry for byfmt=pdflatex, skipped
mktexfmt [INFO]: Total formats: 0
mktexfmt [INFO]: exiting with status 0
I can't find the format file `pdflatex.fmt'!

I tried to do sudo texconfig rehash, as advised here: Error: I can't find
the format file pdflatex.fmt
<https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/64894/error-i-cant-find-the-format-file-pdflatex-fmt>
but
it didn't work, I got: /usr/bin/texconfig: line 1304: mktexlsr: command not
found.

I don't know if that's relevant in any way, but in the Arch wiki article on
texlive in the installation section, when they talk about texlive-core
which is part of the texlive-most package, they say that:

The package includes pacman hooks
<https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman_hook> to automate *mktexlsr*,
*fmtutil* and *updmap*.

 Then when I clicked on the link that leads to the pacman hooks page, in
the second paragraph I saw that these pacman hooks are sometimes used with
systemd tools.

I have the OpenRC version of Parabola, so maybe that's the problem? I
really don't know, I just wonder if you could help somehow.

So do you have any suggestions?