[Assist] [your-freedom] VSCodium blacklisted by code. Fair? Alternatives?

Jaime García Villena garciavillena.jaime at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 10:47:18 GMT 2020

Hello Parabola

Understanding all the telemetry and license issues that rose up with
VSCode, I understood I needed to find a free alternative. I found VSCodium
which is a FLOSS version of VSCode, but when trying to install it from the
AUR I see that it is blacklisted because it depends on the "code" package.
(It is actually just a compiling script).

Would that count as non-free? MIT-licensed source code compiled with GNU
install scripts? Is there any way to condition the conflict as in "code is
forbidden except if its a dependency for VSCodium"

I don't fall in love with IDEs so if VSCodium is a no-go, what do you guys
use?

Thank you and happy hacking