[Assist] VSCode - Package Request

Freemor freemor at freemor.ca
Sat Feb 8 01:23:18 GMT 2020

On Sat, Feb 08, 2020 at 01:59:21AM +0100, 0d0acre at esiliati.org wrote:
> Hi to all of you guys!
>
> I know that probably you receive a lot of package requests so i'm
> sorry for add another one to the list!
> I would like to that myself but i don't know some things...

VScode has been requested before and denied. See Below

> How does your-freedom block other packages? I search and found
> little documentation about that.

It blocks them by conflicting with them you can always choose to uninstall
"your-freedom".

> I was trying to install vscodium-bin (from AUR) your-freedom doesn't
> allow me to install vscodium-bin, but this binaries are free
> (https://github.com/VSCodium/vscodium#install-on-arch-linux)! I'm
> probably missing something, but if someone could explain me how
> your-freedom does its thing i could help!

VScode is based on Electron which is Chromium and has not been proven to be
fully free. Until someone(s) does a deep dive through the code and provides
an Official ruling on it Chromiun/Electron and all things based on them will
be blocked.

This has already been discussed on the bug tracker:
#2345 (duplicate): [code] depends on electron -
https://labs.parabola.nu/issues/2345

I know it sucks when you can not use the editor that you are used to. But
perhaps this would be an opportunity to re-evaluate if a browser that is based
on a webapp engine (Browser/JS Engine) from Google is really the best choice.

Regards