[Assist] Boot process halts before getty is reached

Leon Plickat leonhenrik.plickat at stud.uni-goettingen.de
Mon Nov 4 12:52:13 GMT 2019

Hi,
I have a problem with my Parabola installation and hope this is the correct
list to ask for assistance.

I updated my installation yesterday (the update contained linux-libre, among
other packages) and today I can not boot to getty anymore. The first part of
the boot process seems fine, the initramdisk is loaded and successfully mounts
the LUKS encrypted root volume, after which systemd is started. Systemd appears
to hang / halt during the init process: When the kernel is supposed to take over
control of the frame buffer (the part where the text size changes) the screen
simply blanks.

To me this sounds like a problem either with the kernel, the init part of
systemd or a driver, however I have no idea how to troubleshoot this problem.
I have tried the fallback image and also removed all unnecessary kernel flags,
but to no avail. The boot log ('jounalctl --boot=-1') does not appear to contain
anything useful, but if necessary I will provide it.

Booting into a recovery shell works ('init=/bin/sh').
Booting the installation as a container with systemd-nspawn from a Debian host
also works fine.

CPU:        Intel i7-6500U
GPU:        Intel HD Graphics 520
Init:       systemd