[Assist] Parabola with Gnome (black screen)

Jonathan lapointe.jonathan at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 16:53:11 GMT 2018

I just want to see what look like gnome on my Parabola.  I start it
from the command line with Startx.  It show me a black screen then  I
can see for few second the mouse cursor in the right lower corner then
it shutdown without explanation.  Otherwise I can run from the command
line, Xfce and I3.  But Gnome don't want to run properly.

.xinitrc:

export GDK_BACKEND=x11
exec gnome-session
#exec startxfce4
#export XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=GNOME-Classic:GNOME
#export GNOME_SHELL_SESSION_MODE=Classic
#exec gnome-session --session=gnome-classic

here foo.log:

X.Org X Server 1.20.2
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux Arch Linux
Current Operating System: Linux m81 4.14.70-gnu-1-lts #1 SMP Wed Sep 19
08:04:57 UTC 2018 x86_64
Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-linux-libre-lts
root=UUID=abdec431-03ba-4415-9c74-c808a88cd1cc rw quiet
Build Date: 16 October 2018 03:15:21PM

Current version of pixman: 0.34.0
 Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
 (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/home/j2lapoin/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sat
Oct 20 12:37:20 2018
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
xf86EnableIOPorts: failed to set IOPL for I/O (Operation not permitted)
resize called 1280 1024
The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
 > Warning: Unsupported high keycode 372 for name <I372> ignored
 > X11 cannot support keycodes above 255.
 > This warning only shows for the first high keycode.
Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
 > Warning: Unsupported high keycode 372 for name <I372> ignored
 > X11 cannot support keycodes above 255.
 > This warning only shows for the first high keycode.
Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
xinit: connection to X server lost

waiting for X server to shut down (II) Server terminated successfully
(0). Closing log file.