[Assist] help with migration to OpenRC

Luke Shumaker lukeshu at lukeshu.com
Thu Oct 11 16:28:24 GMT 2018

On Sat, 06 Oct 2018 19:04:33 -0400,
edgar at openmail.cc wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to get some help to migrate from systemd to OpenRC,
> please. I just created two bug reports. I am having difficulties with
> the display manager and emacs:
>
> * emacs broken after migrating to openrc
> https://labs.parabola.nu/issues/2024
> * lxpanelctl run does nothing after migrating to openrc
> https://labs.parabola.nu/issues/2025
>
> Extra info:
> I don't know if this is related, but I still have MATE installed, and
> I tried to login to LXDE with LigtDM and LXDM (I created a .xinitrc
> for the latter with the single line: echo "exec startlxde" >>
> ~/.xinitrc). My locale is not the same as I used to have with MATE.

 - Don't uninstall systemd-libsystemd.  It's perfectly safe, even on
   non-systemd systems.  emacs needs it.  lxpanel needs it.

 - Don't use `pacman -Rdd` commands unless you really know what you're
   doing (I'm aware that until recently the OpenRC wiki page said to
   do that.  That was foolish and reckless of whoever wrote that to
   recommend that people do that.)