[Assist] Personal advice

bill-auger bill-auger at peers.community
Fri May 18 14:31:47 BST 2018

On 05/17/2018 08:41 PM, edgar at openmail.cc wrote:
> Is anyone here aware of a place where they do computational human
> biomechanics, mechanics, materials, finite elements or programming in
> general where I could interact with free software? (having github,
> LaTeX, Python, etc., possibly Emacs and Org-mode; avoid Micro$oft
> products, Matlab, Mathematica, etc.). Is there no place where one can
> simply use free software on a daily basis?

the fact is that you do not have any freedom in the context of your
employment - you are free to choose the jobs that your take; but once
you accept a job you are bound to its specifications - if its
specifications can not be satisfied by using free software then you have
no options other than to use the tools that can complete the job or to
quit the job - if you can find suitable replacement softwares that can
produce an acceptable result then your advisor should not have any
problem with it - she is probably just assuming that none exist

those jargon terms you mention are probably not familiar to anyone
outside of your field so probably no one here can answer directly to
that - i dont know what you mean by "a place where" but if you are
looking for software that does a particular job you may need to do the
research yourself to find them - do some web searches for those terms
you mention like: "open source biomechanics" - maybe the FSD[1] or one
of those "alternivesto" websites have some entries

github, BTW, is not free software

[1]: https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page