[Assist] Personal advice

edgar at openmail.cc edgar at openmail.cc
Fri May 18 01:41:31 BST 2018

Hello,

_I_ need help. I am in graduate school, and I keep having issues with my
advisor for my strong inclination to use free software. I am obviously
not in position to refuse, but she dislikes to have discussions about
it. She pays a stipend to me every month, and my tuition is waved.

Is anyone here aware of a place where they do computational human
biomechanics, mechanics, materials, finite elements or programming in
general where I could interact with free software? (having github,
LaTeX, Python, etc., possibly Emacs and Org-mode; avoid Micro$oft
products, Matlab, Mathematica, etc.). Is there no place where one can
simply use free software on a daily basis?

It seems from her comments that I am, otherwise, a good researcher. She
is a nice person, but I fear that this may become an issue in the future
for me (whether with her or other people).

As a student or junior faculty, how do you go about this? Do you just
nod and wave your freedom good bye?

Thank you! (I will post this in other fora as well; don't let that to
discourage you from answering, please).