[Assist] Freedom Issue - Telegram Desktop

Brett Gilio brettg at posteo.net
Wed Jul 11 02:32:50 BST 2018

An update and a translation from the Freenode IRC channel, I have filed
a freedom-issue regarding telegram-desktop. While I encourage you to
check the IRC logs for more information, a brief summary of the issue is
that the telegram-desktop client and its appropriately building
libraries are GPL/LGPL, but it only functions based on an interaction
with a non-free SaaSS. If it were to have any other functionality, this
would be a non-issue.

An email has been sent to the FSF on the matter, as I suspect this is a
matter of precendence and is likely applicable to a few other
FSF-endorsed GNU/Linux distributions.

https://labs.parabola.nu/issues/1882

      How Service as a Software Substitute Takes Away Your Freedom

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/who-does-that-server-really-serve.en.html