[Assist] recent news entry

bill-auger bill-auger at peers.community
Mon Aug 27 08:18:50 BST 2018

hey thanks for the rebuttal - i love this topic :)

On Sun, 26 Aug 2018 06:48:16 -0400 Ineiev <ineiev at gnu.org> wrote:
> I don't think this may matter. we may have _permission_ to use
> other people trademarks, but I don't think we have any obligation
> to use it

whether or not it is permissible or obligatory to use the trademark is
is not the point - the point is that it is the name chosen by the only
people who have any right to name it - one may refer to that thing by
any other name; but any other name would be completely arbitrary and
incorrect; because it is not the actual name of that actual thing

On Sun, 26 Aug 2018 06:48:16 -0400 Ineiev <ineiev at gnu.org> wrote:
> So "Arch" in fact _can_ be accepted as a name of that distro. using it
> alone would be less problematic than calling it Linux.

"Arch" is not an acceptable name of that distro because it is not the
name of that distro (or any distro) - just as "bug" is not the accepted
name of a volkswagon - it merely a commonly used "nickname"

i do agree that using "arch" alone is less problematic than calling it
any kind of "linux" - but "less problematic" or "politically correct" is
not the same thing as: "actually correct"; which is what one should
strive to be when using proper names, especially in a professional