[Assist] Purchasing advice: UPS, media player

Luke Shumaker lukeshu at lukeshu.com
Sun Oct 29 15:11:59 GMT 2017

Hi all,

I'd like to make a few purchases, but need help identifiying good
products that will work with Free Software.

 - I'd like a UPS that can tell me how much power everything connected
   to it is pulling, and to be be able to initiate a safe shut-down
   after it's been on for a couple seconds (I'm more worried about
   flickers than outright outages).  I'm open to a "smart" UPS, such
   as those from APC, but I don't believe there are any that have free
   firmware.  I suppose that leaves me with a UPS with a USB interface
   supporting USB HID UPS, and adding "smart" features with an
   external device.  If possible, I'd prefer it to be rack-mountable.

 - I'd like a small device (like a Pi or a BBB) that has functional
   HDMI output, and preferably HDMI input as well.  I know that the
   BBB does not have functional HDMI without non-free blobs.  While
   I'm excited about the EOMA68, I'd like something that I can buy
   today, and have by Thanksgiving.