[Assist] Questions about parabola

Luke Shumaker lukeshu at lukeshu.com
Fri Jul 14 23:46:29 BST 2017

On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 06:06:29 -0400,
Manuel Plavsic wrote:

> [1  <text/plain; utf-8 (quoted-printable)>]
> Hello,
>
> My name is Manuel and I lately my interest for Free software, and more
> generally Freedom, has increased a lot.
> I was planning to switch from Linux Mint Cinnamon to Parabola GNU
> because I want to get rid of non-free software.
>
> I was wondering if after installing Parabola, if it will be possible to
> install the right iwlwifi firmware for my Laptop Intel wireless card. I
> mean, only in case the wifi doesn't work out of the box (I think that
> you probably removed these iwlwifi firmwares from the kernel). Or maybe
> you know a free software solution which is even better (my card is the
> Intel AC 8260).

The linux-libre kernel will not load non-free firmwares, even if you
download and install them.  It usually is fairly cheap and simple to
replace the wifi card in a laptop with a freedom-respecting model.

> Secondly, since I will be new to Parabola and I've never tried Arch
> before, I was just wondering if you could give me some tips for the
> installation. More precisely: what's the best way to do a Full Disk
> Encryption with a new SSD and using UEFI (I guess i must type something
> in the terminal while installing the system for the first time). I also
> saw in a You Tube video that there is a GUI installer, could I use that
> for the Full Disk Encryption? If you know a Parabola guide (or also a
> Arch guide which is very similar) and you could send it to me, you would
> really help me.

We do have a GUI installer, but I've never used it.  I suggest you ask
the assist@ mailing list (which I've CC'd).