[Assist] Fwd: Problem with gpg key && iceweasel

Ben uaqben at disroot.org
Wed Dec 6 17:01:32 GMT 2017

On 12/06/2017 05:51 PM, Franco Masotti wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 06, 2017 at 05:31:15PM +0100, Ben wrote:
>> On 12/06/2017 05:21 PM, Franco Masotti wrote:
>>
>> [edited]

>>> This seems odd...
>>>
>>> Try with:
>>>
>>> pacman -Rnus iceweasel
>>> pacman -Syyu
>>> pacman -S iceweasel
>>
>> Hi Franco,
>>
>> I was reading up on pacman again in meantime, and eventually decided I'd
>> partially clear my cache with `pacman -Sc`
>>

> Even better than my suggestion.
>
>> Then decided I'd try a force install, `pacman -S --force inceweasel`
>>
>> And it worked! Iceweasel starts up fine, all looks good :)
>>

> Glad that you solved the problem Ben :)
> Did you try without the --force option first?

yes, and it would complain about files already being there

this "file exists in filesystem" error is mentionned on Arch wiki, and
that's where they suggest trying --force

Every installed package provides a
/var/lib/pacman/local/$package-$version/files file that contains
metadata about this package. If this file gets corrupted, is empty or
goes missing, it results in file exists in filesystem errors when trying
to update the package. Such an error usually concerns only one package.
Instead of manually renaming and later removing all the files that
belong to the package in question, you may exceptionally run pacman -S
--force $package to force pacman to overwrite these files.

	source:
	https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman#.22Failed_to_commit_transaction_.28conflicting_files.29.22_error

>> One last question:  (if better to put another thread, plz let me know)
>>
>> 	If one is in doubt about the integrity of their parabola system's
>> pacman gpg database(s) -> How would one go about verifying
>> it/double-checking it?
>>

> I don't know about this but it would be a nice feature to have.
>
> For the moment, it might be a good idea to put the
> rm gnupg; pacman --key-init; etc...
> instructions in a script and run it if some gpg-related problem arises
> (since it seems to occur frequently)

Yes

Or was thinking (and more readily in my skill-set) of updating our wiki
page, with this extra info/procedure.

First have to get myself an account to edit wiki I believe.