[Assist] Newbie at mailing lists

IngeGNUe ingegnue at riseup.net
Sun Sep 11 01:48:20 BST 2016

On 09/10/2016 08:07 PM, Megver83 wrote:
> Hi everyone, as I am  new in this thing of the lists and all that,
> I'd like some introduction. Also to that thing of the IRC channels,
> why this kind of projects don't  use XMPP instead? What's the
> difference?. Also, why Parabola doesn't have a forum? Arch has one,
> but it's only for Arch GNU/Linux, even Trisquel has one, is not
> something sophisticated but it does its job very well. Thanks in
> advance. _______________________________________________ Assist

Is XMPP for chatrooms? I've only ever used it for 1-to-1 conversations.

IRC is designed around having chatrooms to meet in, rather than
contacts. It's a tradition among hackers and tech people in general and
predates XMPP by about 10 years.

If you have pidgin, you can actually get on IRC with it. It's been a
while since I've been on IRC, or pidgin, though. I'm too paranoid.

There's probably also a way to get on IRC through your web browser.

I'm not sure why there is no forum (maybe there hasn't been a need for
one?), but I believe you're the first to suggest it.

That's all I know. :o)