[Assist] Parabola + Linux-Libre + AMD A8 5550M Power Management Issue

Boris Valkovsky lissovbk at riseup.net
Wed Oct 5 18:21:30 BST 2016

Hello everyone!

I am a newbie in Arch-based GNU + Linux distros, so I would like to ask
your advice on a peculiar problem with my laptop.

This device utilizes a AMD A-8 5550M quad-core CPU, and overheating
problem arises if I am using GNU Linux-libre kernel (I tried ones from
3.14 to 4.7). The processor reacts to any task by maxing out his
frequency, and the only way I found to prevent overheating is locking
the CPU speed as low as possible.

Under Trisquel GNU/Linux-libre I used _cpufreq-set_ to set the upper
frequency limit to 1.4 GHz for each of CPU cores. However, I was not
able to found _cpufrequtils_ in Parabola's repositories.

My current solution is running this from the root account:

echo "1400000" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
echo "1400000" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
echo "1400000" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu2/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
echo "1400000" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu3/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq

Then I just log out from root and go to my usual account.

However, i cannot find a way to make this setting persistent (and maybe
not requiring logging into root), for Parabola does not react on
/etc/rc.local file even if it is set executable.

Could you please give me a hint about how to lock the CPU max frequency
persistently? If you need any additional information - I am ready to
provide it.

Thank you very much for your attention to my question.
Have a good day and please excuse my bad English.