[Assist] Cannot log into secured site with any browser.

pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) pelzflorian at pelzflorian.de
Fri Jul 29 10:24:27 BST 2016

On 07/29/2016 04:08 AM, David Hunt wrote:
> Hi,
>

> When I log into my bank's web site, I am redirected to the site:
> secureinternetbank.com when I enter a password. When I use either
> iceweasel or icecat, the password doesn't seem to get sent, and I keep
> getting asked for it.  With epiphany browser, I get a page saying
> "expire" and nothing else, when submitting a password.  I can log into
> this bank's site from Trisquel's abrowser, and with browsers on any of
> the not-quite-free GNU/Linux varients.  I'd appreciate any suggestions
> on fixing or working around this problem.

I believe Icecat and Iceweasel are more strict than Firefox about HTTPS
encryption. You can test the bank’s website server using
https://www.ssllabs.com (it’s Software-as-a-Service-Substitute, but it
works and I don’t know a more free alternative). If they have major
security issues, that may be the reason you are seeing the error and you
should notify your bank because their site is not safe and *will* break
on other browsers as well in the future.

Another possible reason is issues with JavaScript. Icecat by default
disables non-free JavaScript. Epiphany executes non-free JavaScript but
may not be compatible with their site.

Regards,
Florian Pelz