[Assist] Parabola integrity

IngeGNUe ingegnue at riseup.net
Sat Jul 2 23:33:55 BST 2016

On 07/02/16 18:09, Sergei Akhmatdinov wrote:
> Thank you for updating the subject line for me! I should have done so
> in my previous post.
>
>> Sergei, no need to question: afaik, the Parabola hackers have worked
>> hard to create the strictest standards for software and culture
>> freedom of any FSDG-compliant distro, going beyond the FSDG
>> requirements and removing Free software that has content with
>> creative commons licenses like CC-by-ND. I doubt any distro is more
>> strict with licensing than this one.
>
> I am pretty happy with that and I'd like to be part of a community
> dedicated to free software.
>
> It's just that I was seriously shocked when I started getting [Dev]
> *and* [libreplanet-discuss] pings mostly centered around wondering if
> Parabola should respect Arch in disrespecting GNU.
>
> I personally think it shouldn't even be a question in a dedicated
> community and it should definitely not require RMS' personal input.

I agree that we don't need to respect Arch's disrespect, but sometimes
nice people don't realize that, but it's helpful to remind them.

> Then we get questions discussing the use of proprietary SaaSS on
> [Assist].

I'm scratching my head as to how you listen to music before you buy it.
Do you just go to the store and buy it? If it's not in a torrent, do you
just not listen to the artist?

Or is music trivial enough to abstain from compared to say, online banking?

You block all JavaScript, presumably except for the things that matter.

In the end, the [Assist] query *was a technical issue* because as I have
stated repeatedly Iceweasel did not show the same behavior. Had I
assumed that the IceCat devs were trying to protect me from nonfree
software on the Internet, I would have never discovered that I was
missing a gst-libav plugin. Lack of this plugin could also have broken a
website that *was* running on Free JavaScript.

Free software working with nonFree software is only incidental. Had the
website been the cause, -- and they are not, because I contacted them
asking if they changed their website recently, and they had not -- then
it would have been a freedom issue preventing the playing of media. In
which case, asking how to get around that would be out of bounds. But
one has to determine the reason, not assume.

I agree with Florian that one makes tradeoffs even if temporarily, but
the important thing is that those tradeoffs be the user's decision.