[Assist] Anyone else unable to play songs on bandcamp.com in IceCat?

IngeGNUe ingegnue at riseup.net
Sat Jul 2 16:23:25 BST 2016

On 07/01/16 21:36, Sergei Akhmatdinov wrote:

>>> As of right now, yeah, still broken, but with the latest update I
>>> get infinite spinning discs and tracks that start, play nothing for
>>> a few seconds, then stop. This time, no errors.

>>> I've been unable to play Facebook videos since I don't know when (I
>>> don't visit it much, unless I have to) and assumed it was some evil
>>> DRM.
>>>
>>> If you browse to bandcamp.com and hit play on something random
>>> (anything really) are you able to play the track?
>>>

>> Also: I checked with the website owners, and they said they haven't
>> made any changes recently. So, it probably is an update that broke it.
>> Browsers and website designers have an interesting/horrifying
>> relationship.
>
> Facebook and Bandcamp both rely on non-free code, so I am a bit shocked
> to see this question being discussed here.
>
> Not to mention that MP3 is a tainted and patented audio format.
>
> I'd check for you, but I would prefer not to run the ambiguously
> licensed embedded player.
>
> Way I see it, if it doesn't work, Icecat developers protecting you from
> non-free web code is probably the reason.
>
> Of course, in the end it's your choice to whether to run non-free code
> or not, but I feel like it defeats the purpose of using Parabola.
>
> Cheers,

Well, there are few places where you can download stuff in OGG and, if
you like, bandcamp is one of the few places I know where you can get
music licensed under the creative commons. Also, there are a number of
websites that run nonfree code but I have no control over that. IceCat,
like Iceweasel, runs nonfree Javascript.

Even music that I get as MP3 I convert to OGG.

If IceCat devs are protecting from nonfree code being run, they weren't
doing that before, so unless I can confirm that the reason these things
aren't playing is because of that, instead of something that broke,
then...you see what I'm saying?

And again, I was led to think this was a bug rather than a freedom thing
because Iceweasel plays the music. So I doubt that the reason is nonfree
code -- I think it's more to do with breakage.