[Assist] User agent in iceweasel

Isaac David isacdaavid at isacdaavid.info
Mon Jan 18 15:06:04 GMT 2016

It's a privacy feature, not a bug. Icecat and Torbrowser do the same by
default.

Web servers can use the user agent string to identify users. Because
GNU+Linux users
are far less common than other kinds of users they really stand out in
the crowd.
Ironically, lying about our user agent makes our operating system come
even lower in the
market share studies, and the process repeats.

The go-to reference for browser fingerprinting is EFF's Panopticlick
program:
https://panopticlick.eff.org/
They explain it in more detail and allow you to measure your browser's
uniqueness.

(Non-free javascript warning! Most javascript at eff.org is free and
LibreJS-compliant,
 but the panopticlick code isn't marked as such and I could't verify
its license)