[Assist] Iceweasel, Icecat, and my bank's web site?

Luke Shumaker lukeshu at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 1 21:38:01 GMT 2016

On Wed, 27 Jan 2016 16:12:51 -0500,
David Hunt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Using iceweasel 43 or icecat 38, I canot log into my online banking
> site.  When I enter my password, I get the 'enter password' prompt as
> if I'd submitted without entering one.  I've tried icecat with all
> addons disabled.  With icecat, I tried disabling librejs and spyblock,
> still no luck.  Is there some set of options in the weasel's
> about:config I should check, perhaps?  Other suggestions?
>
> BTW, The branded Firefox and Trisquel's ABrowser work on the bank's site.

Like Ramana said, try setting the UA string to Firefox's (Trisquel
Abrowser uses the Firefox UA string).

Also, at least for a while, we were having local storage disabled by
default in about:config (dom.storage.enabled), though I think we've
stopped doing that in recent versions.  That broke a lot of sites for
silly reasons.  (Side note: If you want the privacy boost of disabling
it, I recommend using the Self Destructing Cookies addon to empty the
storage for a site once you leave the site).

If neither of those work, I'd suggest to log in on Trisquel with the
network developer tab open, and record the requests associated with
login (copy them as curl or whatever).  Then do the same on Parabola,
and compare.

--
Happy hacking,
~ Luke Shumaker