[Assist] Parabola on the Beaglebone (Black, Green)

Isaac David isacdaavid at isacdaavid.info
Sun Dec 25 07:45:43 GMT 2016

Le mer. 21 déc. 2016 à 9:56, invivo <invivo at bitmessage.ch> a écrit :
> My thought now is that the problem is in the linux-libre kernel
> not using the proper image (zImage) to be renamed vmlinuz-linux-libre
> in
> the boot directory. I did diffs of all the files used in the uboot
> packages' PKGBUILD tarball against the Arch Arm counterpart and found
> no
> really important difference except that Arch uses zImage and Parabola
> uses the vzlinuz image which is a mv rename of the zImage during
> linux-libre packaging.

This has always been the case in Parabola, from back when I was
actually using it on a Beaglebone Black. We did this change to
allow for multiple kernels to be selected from an interactive
bootloader (extlinux or grub); whereas in Arch ARM multiple
kernels can't coexist, for they are all called `zImage`. The
standalone uboot packages (like `uboot-am335x_bone`) can't do that,
but they were changed accordingly from Arch ARM's to look for
`vmlinuz-linux-libre` rather than `zImage`. So those are hard-coded
for `linux-libre` only. I think this explains what you are seeing.

`uboot-am335x_bone` used to *just work* for as long as I used it.
If you could get your hands on one of these serial cables[1] you would
be able to see what uboot is doing and debug the problem with us from
there. It's a shame my BBB reboots every few seconds from a faulty PMIC
or something, because my serial cable is still healthy.

> I subsequently attempted to build linux-libre arm on the BeagleBone
> (Green) (from a git clone of abslibre)and the gpg signature checking
> fails during the build.

Probably unrelated to the ARM port. Emulatorman and I build those
kernels all the time without a hassle. Did you gpg-import the keys
listed in the PKGBUILD?, you are supposed to do this manually. Are
you building with `makepkg` or something else? What is the error?

[1]:
http://www.dummies.com/computers/beaglebone/how-to-connect-the-beaglebone-black-via-serial-over-usb/

--
Isaac David
GPG: 38D33EF29A7691134357648733466E12EC7BA943