[Assist] wireless drivers

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli GNUtoo at no-log.org
Sun Jan 4 20:35:41 GMT 2015

On Sat, 27 Dec 2014 09:58:05 -0600
Rill <starbasecafe at gmail.com> wrote:

> This seems odd to me. Doesn't freedom suggest I get to choose
> exceptions or to use my laptop away from  a wired internet connection?
The issue with exception is that they're "not well supported":
* You'll have to handle the kernel and its update, it's not convenient
  at all.
* You probably don't know all the outcomes of your choice:
  -> What can the wifi firmware really do? could it modify what's on
  your laptop RAM(DMA)?
  -> What are the global(for everybody, not just for you) consequences
  for freedom?

In my experience, buying the right hardware is way less painful. For
instance here if you can find a cheap USB wifi card that is supported
by the ath9k_htc driver and that suits you well, it would be way better
for you.

Then in order to avoid NetworkManager confusion and so on, just
blacklist the intel wifi driver module.

Denis.