[Assist] geogebra license is GNU GPL

Isaac David isacdaavid at isacdaavid.info
Sun Dec 27 01:42:09 GMT 2015

Allow me to be more precise:

Geogebra is an instance of copyleft + proprietary dual-licensing, but
unlike most copyleft + proprietary dual-licensed software Geogebra
doesn't relicense the copyleft code in order to grant GPL exemptions.
They rather relicense official binaries to disallow commercial usage,
but the source code remains free software so someone could in principle
produce a GPL release. It's all explained here:
https://www.geogebra.org/download/license.txt

This is a weird license choice, isn't it. Going with a noncommercial
licence in the source code would serve the developers better. I'm
inferring that they do own the copyright over the GPL source code,
otherwise relicensing installers would constitute a GPL violation.

The following is speculation: I suspect Geogebra fell victim of the
open source narrative in which collaborative development and code
review are more important than user freedom. Its developers wanted to
produce an academic and educative piece of proprietary software (gratis
but not available to businesses) with disclosed source code, but at the
same time wanted to prevent adaptations from falling off their hands,
so the best they could come up with was using the GPL and trying to
make object code noncommercial with a second license.

By the way, not all source code is free. At least translations are
proprietary (CC-BY-SA-NC). This last license is exactly what I was
talking about: copyleft sauf commercial usage.