[Assist] ec fonts

Tom t4k at email.cz
Sun Apr 12 18:01:13 BST 2015

I have encounter the following problem in the compilation of LaTeX
documents which require popular T1 font encoding (header
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}) in pdflatex.

kpathsea: Running mktexmf ecrm1095
! I can't find file `ecrm1095'.
<*> ...ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input ecrm1095

This has already been discussed on the mailinglist [1,2] and switch to
a unicode TeX engine such as XeTeX or LuaTeX has been
suggested. Unfortunately, this is not viable solution for me, as the
document style I'm using requires T1 encoding.

The T1 encoding is provided by ec fonts [3]. Those are covered by a
license which requires modified version to use a name different from
the name of any prior version.

According to the Parabola wiki [4,5] and Fedora Legal Audit [6], those
fonts are of incompatible (non-free) licences. However, this is in
conflict with the Free Software Foundation statement [7], who
recognise the specific restriction on the distribution of modified
version as annoying issue, but since TeX allows to create filename
mappings, it qualifies the font as free in this context.

Those fonts are normaly distributed as part of "cm-super" package,
which is a part of other exclusively free distributions such as
Trisquel [8].

My question is, would it be possible to include those fonts to Parabola?

[1] https://lists.parabola.nu/pipermail/assist/2014-November/000329.html
[2] https://lists.parabola.nu/pipermail/assist/2015-February/000429.html
[3] https://www.ctan.org/pkg/ec?lang=en
[4] https://wiki.parabola.nu/TeXLive_freedom_verification#Missing_files