[Assist] about buying a video card that respect my freedom

Luke T. Shumaker lukeshu at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 12 03:57:04 GMT 2014

At Sat, 11 Jan 2014 09:44:49 -0500,
Charles Williams wrote:
> I use a nVidia 9500 which works perfectly.
>
> Charles

I also have a nVidia 9500 GT in my desktop.  It works well most of the
time, but it has some subtle bugs with DRM/DRI.  After several hours
of continuous streaming HD video, it will start to bug out.  Restarting X
usually fixes this, but sometimes it requires a fufll reboot.  I even
had it cause a kernel panic once.

That said, other users tell me that the 3D works great, and they've
never hit the DRI issues I have, as they don't stream a ton of video
for hours on end; where mine does, as my box is primarily a media
station.