[Assist] Booting Problems on Fresh Installation

arnuld uttre arnuld.mizong at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 17:17:34 UTC 2014

Hi There,

I installed parabola from scratch (using 2014.06.01 cd), I have AMD64
machine.  Installation went fine but I could not boot properly. It has
the same issue that my Arch migration had. After grub, it just
hangs/freezes but still responds to Ctr-Alt-Del key for a reboot. It
show grub menu and boots the machine but later just stops.

There is only one way to boot the installtion:

(This is sample /boo/grub/grub.cfg from my gNewSense installation but
parabola grub.cfg looks similar)

	insmod part_msdos
 	insmod ext2
	set root='(hd0,msdos1)'
	search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 9cd8459e-af54-4bfe-b69c-e03b45c54cf4
	echo	'Loading Linux 2.6.32-5gnewsense1-amd64 ...'

Whet you get grub menu, press 'e', it will go into edit-mode, remove
everything before line starting with word "echo".  Then press F10 to
boot and it will boot into your fresh parabola installation . I
learned it the hard way by experimenting with each line. Only removing
all lines befor "echo" makes the machine boot. But then you will not
get internet/dhcpcd running, you have to run it manually.  X won't run
too (ERROR: No Screens Found) , even though I had
xorg-server-parabola, xorg-server-utils, xorg-xinit, xf86-video-ati
and ratpoison (window manager) installed by pacstrap. ATI is the
driver I am using on Arch successfully from 2 years.

Took me 6 hours to do all the experiments to boot parabola and
starting X but I failed. I installed gNewSense instead. I may try
again sometime.  Does anyone has similar issue or can provide some
insight into some solution ?

Thanks

-- arnuld
http://uttre.wordpress.com/