[Assist] systemctl --user status Failed to get D-Bus connection: Connection refused

Luke T. Shumaker lukeshu at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 4 03:27:07 GMT 2014

At Thu, 03 Apr 2014 15:22:48 -0600,
Jorge Araya Navarro wrote:
> I followed the
> instructions from Arch Linux wiki ( as read here
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd/User ),

I'm not saying not to read that, there's some good stuff there, but on
a scale of "garbage" to "quality documentation", that page is closer
to the former.

> When I run `systemctl --user status` I got `Failed to get D-Bus
> connection: Connection refused`. Why the connection is refused? I have
> no idea. As far as I can remember, I never touch DBus configuration.
> Never.

I believe you are experiencing a bug in systemd where
/run/user/<your_uid>/systemd/ (or, equivalently,
$XDG_RUNTIME_DIR/systemd/ ) is not being created on login.  Verify
that is the case, then log out and back in until it exists.  I've just
logged out and in a couple times, and sometimes it is created,
sometimes it isn't; with no pattern I've picked up on.