[Assist] Trouble trouble

Luke T. Shumaker lukeshu at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 11 00:39:39 GMT 2013

At Fri, 10 May 2013 15:49:53 -0700,
Jim Morgan wrote:
> Wednesday night it took a very patient lukeshu more than five hours
> to help me get my computer up to sudo pacmam -Syu where it
> downloaded almost 600 updates. I went through the process up to the
> point where it told me about file conflicts with more than 100 of
> the files.

What package(s) were the conflicts coming from?  I'd guess that even
though there were a ton of file conflicts, they were coming from only
a few packages.

> So now when I boot it goes through a whole bunch of stuff so fast
> that I can't see what it is doing and then hangs up trying to find a
> window manager, which is dwm if it matters.

I'm semi-surprised that it gets that far.

I'm not familiar with the bootloader for mips64el, but add
"systemd.unit=rescue.target" as a kernel argument from the
bootloader. It should avoid loading the normal boot targets and
instead ask you for the root password, and then drop you into a bash
prompt, from which you can make repairs.

Since it sounds like most of the boot process is going well, my
suggestion is to look at the "graphical.target". I can't help you too
much there; I have changed the default target from "graphical.target"
to "multi-user.target", since I don't want to start X11 by default.