[Assist] Trying to install with wifi

Harry Prevor habstinat at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 11:35:54 GMT 2013

On 3/13/13, Luther <lutheroto at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have an Atheros AR9170 on a USB stick. It works fine with Trisquel. When I
> type 'wifi-menu', I get 'No such interface: wlan0'.

Should definitely be possible with the ath9k
<https://wiki.parabolagnulinux.org/Wireless_Setup#ath9k> driver.
Instead of using wifi-menu, try connecting manually first:

    # iwconfig wlan0 mode ad-hoc
    # ip link set wlan0 up
    # iwlist wlan0 scan | grep -i essid
    # iwconfig wlan0 essid "MyEssid" #for unsecured networks; see the
wiki for how to connect to secured ones
    # dhcpcd wlan0

If that doesn't work, it actually might be a problem your specific
kernel version:

"2012/04/14: The new kernel 3.3.1 includes a patch that prevent
association with an atheros wifi card. See
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=139274 for more infos. The
previous kernel (3.2.13) don't include this patch and the next one
(3.1.2) shouldn't include it."

If that is the issue, seems like you can patch it out without much effort.

Also, what is the output of "dmesg | grep firmware" and "ip link set wlan0 up"?

Good luck.

--
Harry Prevor