[Assist] Problem with installing Parabola on Yeeloong

Michał Masłowski mtjm at mtjm.eu
Thu Jun 6 12:59:52 GMT 2013

>> > (I could not install iceweasel-libre due to an error in signature,
>> > though.)

No version of iceweasel-libre after 9 builds and works on mips64el (10
up to something froze, newer versions need JIT support to build), the
currently available package is known to be unsigned, has many open
security issues and depends on obsolete versions of many libraries.  You
can extract old libpng15 and libffi libraries to run it (only .so.*, not
.so files).

>> I really recomend not to use icecat on this machine - it's to slow.
>> The best solution would be netsurf. It has its own rendering engine and
>> it's really fast and dealing with web pages much better than dillo.

Most (all?) mips64el packagers use Midori, it's very slow since
WebKitGTK is unoptimized due to bugs (and has no JIT).

> netsurf: error while loading shared libraries: libpng15.so.15: cannot

Newer versions did not compile (very possibly a trivial error on my
machine), report a bug at labs.parabola.nu?

>> > The problem is that gdm does not run after reboot.  I could not find
>> > any logs regarding gdm and X under /var/log.  Since systemctl
>> > complains that it could not connect via DBus, I doubt systemd is
>> > running properly.

The mips64el base tarball is vastly outdated.  Run "ls -l /proc/1/exe"
as root, if it's /sbin/init with no link to /usr/lib/systemd/systemd,
then move to systemd as described on the wiki.

> I gave up using gdm and run startxfce4.  X starts up and seemingly
> works fine, except that I get corrupted screen if you move windows.

Known driver issue.

> The problem is no matter how many times I reinstall DBus it does not
> work at all.  I cannot use systemctl, nm-applet, or many other useful
> programs.  For example, systemctl says
>
> Failed to get D-Bus connection: No connection to service manager.

Check if systemd is running via the above ls invocation.

> I noticed that every time I run pacman it warns me saying
>
> waring: config file /etc/pacman.conf, line 19: diective 'SyncFirst' in
> section 'options' not recognized.
>
> I have not edited the corresponding section of the config file.

Check /etc/pacman.conf.pacnew, the base tarball has an older pacman
version.