[Assist] [SOLVED] Can't setup console font

Csanyi Pal csanyipal at gmail.com
Sat Dec 7 10:22:22 GMT 2013

Hi Sebas and all you who respond me to help me in solving this problem.

Thank you all for help. :)

On Fri, Dec 06, 2013 at 01:03:05AM -0200, G. Sebas Pedersen wrote:
> On 12/4/13, Csányi Pál <csanyipal at gmail.com> wrote:
> > [...]
> > The keyboard on consoles tty1-6 is hu101, but the font is not the
> > Lat2-Terminus16 after reboot, however in the /etc/vconsole.conf I have
> > the line:
> > FONT=Lat2-Terminus16
> >
> > I don't understand, why isn't the console FONT the Lat2-Terminus16 after
> > reboot?
> >
> > Why I must after reboot and after login on the consoles tty1-6 to run
> > manually the 'setfont Lat2-Terminus16' command every time?
>
> Hi.
>
> I'm almost sure this is a shoot in the dark and it will be of no help,
> but just in case you haven't tried yet, I have in /etc/vconsole.conf
> the line:
>
> FONT="Lat2-Terminus16"
>
> (Note de quotes above)
I tried that already without any effect.

Today I search again for the solution and find it here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fonts#Console_fonts

and from there by following the 'Kernel Mode Setting#Early KMS'  link
here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Kernel_Mode_Setting#Early_KMS_start

Bellow follows, what I did:

1. edit and save /etc/vconsole.conf
KEYMAP=hu101
FONT=ter-216n
FONT_MAP=8859-2

2. edit and save /etc/mkinitcpio.conf
MODULES="i915"

   NOTE: I have Acer Laptop with integrated Intel graphic card,
	      so I must use i915 module.

3. rebuild my kernel image linux-libre:
# mkinitcpio -p linux-libre

   NOTE: I'm running the ParabolaGNUlinux with linux-libre kernel.

4. reboot

I have now on every /dev/tty virtual console the Lat2-Terminus16 fonts.

Now I shall install some Terminus fonts to get bigger fonts on my
virtual consoles:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fonts#Changing_the_default_font

--
Regards from Pal